Butter chicken is a popular Indian dish made with chicken in a creamy tomato sauce. It is believed to have originated in the Punjab region of India, but is now enjoyed all over the world. It consists of chicken cooked in a creamy tomato sauce. There are many different variations of butter chicken, but all share a rich, flavorful sauce and tender chicken. In this write-up, I shall take you through some of the best butter chicken recipes from around the world.
Ready? Let’s go!
Best Butter Chicken Recipes
Let’s start with the classic Indian recipe, and then move on to some more unique and creative variations. Whether you are a butter chicken lover or you are simply looking for a new and delicious dish to try, I am sure you would find something to your liking.
#1 Classic Indian Butter Chicken
Classic Indian Butter Chicken, or Murgh Makhani is developed from Punjab. This is famous for its rich and creamy dish with a mild to medium spiciness. Firstly, yogurt tenderizes the chicken and imparts a sharp-flavored flavor. Secondly, garam masala adds a warm and complex flavor to the sauce. kasuri methi adds a unique bitter-sweet flavor that adds depth. Moreover, clarified butter (ghee) gives the dish a rich and buttery taste. The chicken is cooked in a tandoor, giving it a smoky flavor. Overall, it is served hot with naan bread or steamed rice, perfectly going with the creamy sauce and tender chicken. Collectively, these ingredients and techniques create a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion.
#2 Pakistani Butter Chicken
Pakistani Butter Chicken, or Murgh Makhani, shares similarities with the Indian fellow but stands out with its unique flavor profile and techniques. Including kasuri methi, or dried fenugreek leaves, adds a clear earthy flavor to the dish, while the technique of Dum Cooking ensures tender and flavorful chicken. The rich and creamy sauce, mashed with aromatic spices like cumin, coriander, and garam masala, add a balance between sharpness and sweetness from the yogurt and tomatoes. The addition of kasuri methi boost the flavor with its slightly bitter and flower-patterned. This Pakistani delicacy offers a very pleasant and harmonious mixture of flavors that top the richness of the sauce and the tender chicken, making it a true culinary delight.
This has a very pleasant twist on the classic Indian dish, by integrating unique flavors and techniques. With a combination of traditional Indian spices and British ingredients, this dish offers a fusion of culinary influences. One unique ingredient in British Butter Chicken is Worcestershire sauce, which adds a sour and spicy record to the dish. The technique used in this recipe involves marinating the chicken in a blend of yogurt and Worcestershire sauce, resulting in tender and flavorful meat.
- Start by marinating the chicken pieces in a mixture of yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least an hour.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat and add diced onions, stirring until they become soft.
- Next, add diced tomatoes and cook until they soften. Then, add a mixture of British spices like paprika, cumin, and garam masala.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan, along with a lump of butter, and cook until the chicken is browned. This will create a rich and flavorful base for the dish.
- To finish, stir in a large amount of heavy cream, allowing it to simmer and thicken the sauce. The creaminess of the sauce, combined with the sharpness of Worcestershire sauce, creates a creamy and mild flavor profile.
#4 American Butter Chicken
American Butter Chicken puts a delicious American touch on the classic Indian dish, with unique flavors and techniques. By adding a special ingredient and utilizing a special cooking method, this dish gives an enjoyable cooking styles. One unique ingredient in American butter chicken is barbecue sauce, which adds a smoky and sour flavor to the dish. The technique used involves grilling the chicken before dipping it into the creamy sauce creating a tantalizing toast taste.
- Start by marinating the chicken in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and a touch of barbecue sauce. Allow the chicken to soak up the flavors for at least an hour, ensuring a juicy and well-seasoned result.
- Next, preheat the grill and cook the marinated chicken until it develops a delicious burn and is fully cooked.
- In a separate pan, melt butter and stir-fry onions and garlic until soft and golden brown. Then, add a combination of spices like paprika, cumin, and chili powder.
- Pour in a large amount of barbecue sauce, followed by heavy cream, and allow the flavors to meld together. The creamy sauce presented by the sourness of barbecue sauce, creates a rich and juicy profile that will tantalize your taste buds.
- Finally, add the grilled chicken to the sauce, ensuring each piece is coated in the creamy and flavorful mixture. Simmer gently, allowing the chicken to absorb the sauce and become even more tender.
#5 Thai Butter Chicken
Thai Butter Chicken is a dish that combines the flavors of Thai cuisine with the richness of buttery goodness. The unique ingredient in this recipe is lemongrass, which adds a citrus aroma to the dish. The chef marinates the chicken in a blend of Thai spices, grills it to perfection, and then finishes it with a juicy butter sauce. The technique used involves grilling the chicken for a smoky flavor and then simmering it in the butter sauce. The result is an enjoyable combination of spicy, sour, and creamy flavors. Thai Butter Chicken is a mouthwatering dish that will transport you to the sunny beaches of Thailand with every bite.
- Begin by marinating chicken pieces in a blend of Thai spices, including lemongrass, garlic, and chili.
- After marinating, grill the chicken until it’s cooked through, resulting in a smoky flavor.
- In a separate pan, melt butter and stir-fry onions and bell peppers until they’re tender.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and a touch of sugar to create a creamy and salty sauce.
- Finally, add the grilled chicken to the sauce, allowing it to simmer and absorb the flavors.
#6 Caribbean Butter Chicken
This dish that combines the sparkling flavors of the Caribbean with the richness of buttery chicken. The unique ingredient in this recipe is Scotch bonnet peppers, which add a burning and unique tropical taste. The chicken is marinated with a blend of Caribbean spices and then grilled to perfection, creating a smoky and toast flavor. The dish has a spicy profile, with a harmonious balance of heat and buttery goodness. It’s a tantalizing dish that will transport your taste buds to the sunny shores of the Caribbean.
#7 Fusion Recipes
Lastly, this fusion includes blend of flavors, combining traditional Indian Butter Chicken with elements from various cuisines. The unique ingredient in this dish is coconut milk, adding a tropical twist. The technique involves marinating the chicken in a spice-infused yogurt mixture, then cooking it in a creamy tomato-coconut sauce. The flavor profile is a balance of rich, creamy, and slightly sweet taste, complemented by aromatic spices. This fusion dish offers a captivating culinary experience, blending the best of different culinary traditions into one delicious creation.
Who makes the best butter chicken in the world?
What is the best combination for butter chicken?
The best combination for butter chicken is a matter of personal preference, but some popular options include: Rice(Basmati), which helps to soak up the delicious sauce. Naan bread, Raita which is a yogurt-based flavoring and Chutney. In addition, vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, peas, or carrots are added. Lastly, Papadum and Samosas.
Which country invented butter chicken?
Kundan Lal Gujral, the founder of the renowned restaurant Moti Mahal, is credited with inventing butter chicken in the 1950s in the city of Delhi, India. Butter chicken is a flavorful Indian dish consisting of chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce. It has since gained popularity worldwide.
So, there you have it. The collection of the best butter chicken recipes from around the world. Whether you’re a butter chicken newbie or a seasoned pro, I encourage you to try some of these recipes and see for yourself why butter chicken is one of the most popular Indian dishes in the world. Furthermore, the exciting variations like British, Thai, Caribbean, and Fusion adds its own unique twist to this beloved dish. Likewise, when you crave the aromatic spices of India, the creamy coconut flavors of Thailand, or the sparkling spices of the Caribbean, there is a recipe to suit every palate. And when you’ve found your favorite recipe, be sure to share it with your friends and family!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the ingredients for butter chicken?
The main ingredients for butter chicken are: Chicken (Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces). Yogurt (Plain yogurt, preferably full-fat). Lemon juice (Fresh lemon juice. Spices (Garam masala, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, ginger, garlic). Tomatoes (Crushed tomatoes or tomato puree. Butter (Unsalted butter). Heavy cream (Heavy cream or half-and-half). Kasoori methi (optional): Dried fenugreek leaves.
What thickens butter chicken?
Cream or yogurt, along with cashew paste, tomato puree, and a combination of ground spices, are the ingredients that thicken butter chicken. Simmering and reducing the sauce thickens it, allowing the flavors to concentrate and creating a rich and luscious texture.
- Culinary Delights: Exploring the Wonders of Global Cuisine
- African Cuisine: 22 Best African Foods To Explore Across Various Regions
- 10 Healthy Meals on a Budget
- 45 Mind-blowing Blog Post Ideas for Summer Months