In life, one of the most important things for people is to have a good, happy, and healthy relationship with someone special. Yet, you can’t blame us. As humans, we were fashioned for companionship and then we want to give love, feel loved, and be understood and supported by those special ones we care about.
But there are some questions that gets to stare at us in the way or as we forge ahead, such as, how do you know a relationship is safe for you or even healthy? What exactly makes a relationship healthy? Are there signs to look out for? How do I know the red flags?
Well, keep reading as these questions and many more are what we will explore in this blog post.
Ready? Let’s dive in to discover the secrets to a healthy relationship.
What is a Healthy Relationship?
A healthy relationship is a strong and fulfilling bond between two individuals built on honesty, trust, respect, and open communication. In a healthy relationship, both partners feel safe, supported, and valued. They have the liberty to communicate openly and honestly while also resolving conflicts respectfully.
Characteristics of a healthy relationship include:
- Partners openly express their thoughts, feelings, and needs, and actively listen to each other without judgment.
- There is a strong foundation of trust and reliability, where both partners can depend on each other.
- Each person respects the other’s boundaries, opinions, and choices, treating them as equals.
- Partners understand and support each other emotionally, showing empathy and compassion during challenging times.
- Each partner maintains their interests, friendships, and personal growth while nurturing the relationship.
- Physical and emotional affection is freely given and received, fostering intimacy and connection.
- There is honesty and openness in the relationship, with no hidden agendas or secrets.
Kindly note: A healthy relationship is not without its challenges, but rather in the commitment to work through difficulties together, which always strengthens the bond. It is a partnership where both individuals grow, learn, and evolve alongside each other, fostering a sense of contentment, happiness, and fulfillment.
How do you start a healthy relationship?
Here are top tips on building and maintaining loving and healthy relationships;
1. Self Reflection / Get to know yourself
Start by reflecting on your own values, needs, and expectations from a relationship. Meanwhile, you will also need to clearly know and understand what you want and what you can offer to a partner. Take the time to appreciate yourself and then get in touch with your emotions to be able to express yourself clearly and more effectively.
2. Put in the work
Loving relationships are not found but built. A healthy relationship needs qualities such as commitment and willingness to accommodate each other’s needs.
3. Mutual Respect / Set boundaries
Setting boundaries is not only about what you don’t want or like in your relationships but also about letting the people around you know what you appreciate. Treat your potential partner with respect and then you can expect the same in return. Ensure to respect each other’s boundaries, opinions, and choices.
4. Talk and Listen
All relationships have disagreements and that’s okay. But what matters is how you talk and listen to one another. Ensure you listen to understand, rather than listening to respond. Also, don’t be scared to express your emotions and vulnerabilities with the people you love.
5. Take It Slow
Don’t rush into things. Allow the relationship to develop naturally, and give each other time to get to know one another.
6. Understand Love Languages
Learn about each other’s love languages and how you both prefer to give and receive love and affection.
7. Set Healthy Boundaries
Establish clear boundaries and expectations early on in the relationship while respect those boundaries to foster a sense of safety and trust.
8. Be Patient
Building a healthy relationship takes time. Be patient with each other as you get to know one another and navigate through challenges.
9. Be Authentic / Be Yourself
Be yourself and encourage your partner to be their authentic self, too. Honesty and authenticity are key qualities that can’t be negotiated in a healthy relationship.
10. Celebrate Small Moments
Appreciate and celebrate the little joys and achievements in your relationship every now and then. Learn to express gratitude for each other’s efforts.
15 Signs of a Healthy Relationship
Tips for Improvement
|Open communication||Partners openly express thoughts and feelings.||Practice active listening and avoid interrupting each other.||“Communication to a relationship is like oxygen to life. Without it…it dies.” – Tony Gaskins|
|Active listening||Both partners engage fully during conversations.||Put away distractions and maintain eye contact.||“Listening is an attitude of the heart, a genuine desire to be with another which both attracts and heals.” – L.J. Isham|
|Constructive conflict resolution||Partners work together to find solutions to disagreements.||Use “I” statements to express feelings and avoid blame.||“When the trust account is high, communication is easy, instant, and effective.” – Stephen R. Covey|
|Trust and security||Partners have faith in each other’s words and actions.||Build trust by keeping promises and being reliable.||“Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” – Stephen Covey|
|Honesty and transparency||Both partners are truthful, even in difficult situations.||Encourage vulnerability and create a judgment-free zone for sharing feelings.||“Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway.” – Mother Teresa|
|Empathy and understanding||Partners show compassion for each other’s emotions.||Practice active empathy by putting yourself in your partner’s shoes.||“Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another, and feeling with the heart of another.” – Alfred Adler|
|Respect for boundaries||Partners honor and value personal space and limits.||Communicate and agree on individual boundaries.||“Love is respecting each other’s space in a relationship.” – Anurag Prakash Ray|
|Supporting personal growth||Partners encourage and motivate each other’s aspirations.||Celebrate each other’s successes and provide encouragement during setbacks.||“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin|
|Providing emotional support||Partners uplift each other during challenging times.||Show appreciation for each other’s efforts and offer help when needed.||“A strong relationship requires choosing to love each other, even in those moments when you struggle to like each other.” – Dave Willis|
|Shared interests||Partners enjoy activities together, strengthening their bond.||Discover new activities that both partners find intriguing.||“In a good relationship, the essence of trust is not in its bind, but in its bond.” – Unknown|
|Exploring new hobbies||Developing shared interests to build a closer connection.||Explore new activities that you both find intriguing.||“The best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.” – Dalai Lama XIV|
|Healthy conflict resolution||Partners handle disagreements constructively.||Practice patience and active listening during arguments.||“A great relationship doesn’t happen because of the love you had in the beginning, but how well you continue building love until the end.” – Unknown|
|Physical affection||Partners show love through hugs, kisses, and touch.||Make regular physical affection a part of your daily interactions.||“A loving heart is the truest wisdom.” – Charles Dickens|
|Joint decision-making||Both partners are involved in decisions.||Establish a collaborative decision-making process.||“A relationship requires a lot of work and commitment.” – Greta Scacchi|
|Supporting independence||Partners encourage individual interests and friendships.||Nurture each other’s separate social connections.||“The greatest relationships are the ones you never expected to be in, the ones that swept you off your feet and challenged every view you’ve ever had.” – Unknown|
Now that we’ve explored the key elements that constitute a healthy relationship, it’s important to be vigilant about potential red flags that indicate underlying issues. While a healthy relationship is built on a foundation of trust, respect, and open communication, certain behaviors can signal unhealthy dynamics.
Let’s explore these signals;
Red Flags in a Healthy Relationship
- Constant criticism or belittling of each other.
- Excessive jealousy or possessiveness.
- Controlling behavior, such as monitoring each other’s activities or isolating from friends and family.
- Disregard for boundaries and personal space.
- Frequent and intense arguments without resolution.
- Lack of trust and honesty.
- Verbal, emotional, or physical abuse.
- Feeling unsafe or fearful in the presence of your partner.
- Unwillingness to take responsibility for actions and blaming each other for problems.
- Financial secrecy or dishonesty.
- Substance abuse or addiction issues.
- Withholding affection or intimacy as a form of punishment.
- Disrespecting each other’s opinions and values.
- Consistently prioritizing individual needs over the well-being of the relationship.
- Feeling constantly drained or emotionally exhausted in the relationship
A loving relationship thrives on mutual love, care, and appreciation. So, showing affection and making your partner feel loved should be an ongoing process that strengthens the bond between you both. Remember, a healthy relationship is about creating an environment of trust and emotional security, where both individuals can flourish together.
How do I make my partner feel loved?
Showing love to your partner means understanding how they want to be cared for and cherished. Sometimes, we might express love in our own unique ways and then miss what truly makes our significant other feel loved.
So, the key is recognizing and appreciating their love language, which acts like a secret code to their heart. When you speak their love language, then, you have showered them with affection in a way that deeply touches their emotions.
Now, let’s carefully review some of the ways to express love:
- Hold hands!
- Say goodbye or greet them with a kiss, every time.
- Cuddle together in bed, even (and especially) if it doesn’t lead to anything.
- Place your hand gently on them, for no reason.
- Sit close together on the couch when watching TV.
- Give them a nice loving massage – before they ask for one.
- Kiss them softly on the forehead or cheek.
- When in company, give their hand a good squeeze on an inside joke.
- Put your arm around them in public.
- When they do well, give them a congratulatory pat on the back or a high five.
1. Make Date Nights a weekly event, or at least a monthly one (If you can’t go out, you can stay indoors).
2. When you’re spending time together make sure you put your phone down, make eye contact, and pay full attention when listening to your partner.
3. Ask how was their day and actually listen!
4. Go for walks outside together.
5. Do your small daily routines together like brushing your teeth, or even bathing together.
6. Get in the car and take a drive through your favorite area of town.
7. Work out together – hit the gym or go for a run together.
8. Play a game together – cards or a board game with no electronic devices on!
Acts of Service
1. Take over one of their hated chores for a period of time.
2. On a special occasion – Do all the chores before they get home.
3. Help them get a difficult task finished.
4. Cook for them – Make them breakfast in bed on the weekend or just prepare food for them for the whole week.
5. Take their car for a wash.
6. Find something little you can do for them that will save them time such as going to the post office or picking up their dry cleaning.
7. Do something that you know is important to them.
8. Make them a cup of coffee or tea without them asking.
Words of Affirmation
1. Write them a love note and let them know how they make you feel.
2. Make a list of 10 things you like about them and then share it with them.
3. Search YouTube for a song that expresses your feelings, and send them the link.
4. When they are doing something well at work or at home, make sure you praise them, and also acknowledge them when they did something nice for you, etc.
5. Compliment them out of the blue.
6. Text them in the middle of the day, letting them know you are thinking about them.
7. Brag about how great they are to your friends or family, in front of them.
1. Learn to keep a mental note of little things they mention they like and get it for them.
2. Subscribe them to a favorite magazine or one that represents something they love.
3. Grab their favorite snack/candy on the way home from work.
4. Bring them coffee or lunch at work unexpectedly.
5. Buy them tickets to their favorite performer on a whim.
6. When you’re going on vacation/work trips without them, make sure you bring them a small souvenir letting them know they were on your mind.
7. Gift them an experience, like a hot-air balloon ride.
Having uncovered the secrets of a healthy relationship, its characteristics, and the positive signs to look out for, you should be able to recognize red flags that may signal challenges.
However, to make your partner feel loved, you need to understand their unique love language, and express affection accordingly. Love thrives through commitment, effort, and understanding. And from open communication to acts of kindness, every gesture strengthens the bond.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 5 keys to a lasting relationship?
- The 5 keys are Positivity, Empathy, Commitment, Acceptance, and Mutual love and respect.
Can a man love two women at the same time?
- It is possible to love two people at once and feel strong attraction towards both people.
- 50 Best Cities in the World [Updated List]
- 21 World’s best amazing resorts to visit this summer 2023 – Crazy Beach Lover
- I Am Suddenly Repulsed By My Partner- Help!